A short amount of time spent in professional teeth whitening Maroubra delivers optimum results. This popular whitening method is performed under the direct supervision of a dentist.
The professional at-home kit is such a bother and OTC or over-the-counter products for whitening teeth is not effective as well.
The main difference with other whitening methods to a professional teeth whitening is the price. While the price tag is higher in professional teeth whitening, the results are short of remarkable.
Things to expect with a Professional Teeth Whitening
The professional teeth whitening procedure is not a complicated process although avoiding gum injury requires it to be performed skillfully. The procedure also needs expensive equipment from start to finish. The process usually gets done from 60 to 90 minutes.
Here are the things expected to happen during the professional whitening procedure, to include:
- The current shade of the patient’s teeth is recorded by the dentist before starting the process of teeth whitening
- Any plaque found on the surface of the teeth will be polished by a grainy material known as a pumice
- The teeth will be kept dry by isolating the mouth with gauze. The tongue, lips, and cheeks will be kept away from the whitening solution with the use of retractors
- The gumline also needs to be protected from the solution. A barrier is placed next to the gumline as protection.
- Only the front surface of the teeth will be coated with a whitening solution. The bleaching agents typically used as the whitening solution includes either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide.
- A laser or curing light is required by many whitening products as a way of activating the peroxide. The applied solution will be left on the teeth for around 30 to 60 minutes. Depending on the brand used, the solution will need to be reapplied.
- The teeth will be rinsed once the maximum time has been reached and the optimum shade achieved. Any tooth sensitivity during this time will be eased by an application of fluoride.
- The desired shade will not be reached in one session alone. Additional visits will have to be scheduled.
After a teeth whitening session, it is highly recommended to avoid high pigmented beverages or foods for the next 24 hours. These include:
- Tobacco or smoking
- Yellow mustard
- Red wine
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato juice
- Black grapes
- Light and dark-coloured sodas
- Curries and soy sauce
- Sports drink
- White wine
Dental office visits offer the most dramatic results in whitening the teeth compared to at-home or OTC whitening kits. A single 2-hour appointment with a dentist using the latest techniques produces teeth that are 8 shades brighter than normal teeth colour.
Whitening the teeth is more effective for people with yellow-coloured teeth. However, the whitening technique is less effective when used in people with brown-coloured teeth.
A brighter smile is achieved with teeth whitening procedure from a reputable dentist. While try-at-home teeth whitening kits are cheaper, they can also lead to increased tooth sensitivity and dehydration if not done properly. Most of the time, at-home kits will produce the desired results. It’s better to let the experts handle this process. Maroubra Dentistry off a full range of dental solutions.